- 458 Download
- 4.69 MB File Size
- 1 File Count
- Adolescent Provider Toolkit – Sexual Health Download
Please note: this resource has been updated!
Our resources for providers are free to download.
We are actively in the process of updating this toolkit. Note that our resources for providers are not meant for direct youth consumption. However, these do contain resources for providers to facilitate conversations with youth and their parents/caregivers.
This toolkit embraces adolescent sexuality as a positive and normative stage of development. It also focuses on healthy sexuality and healthy relationships. This was designed for primary care providers but is applicable to many other providers including school-based and youth program providers. This toolkit was written with a national perspective and includes many unique resources in the format of handouts.
This toolkit is not intended to replace clinical practice protocols. It does provide evidence based practice guidelines to enhance a provider’s ability to meet the sexual health needs of adolescents. This toolkit includes:
- Practice readiness tools
- Screening, assessment, and referral tools such as taking a client-centered sexual health history
- Resource sheets
- Health education handouts for teens and their parents/caregivers on topics including sex and technology and safer sex toy use
- Online resources and hotlines
Note: General screening and counseling techniques can be found in the Adolescent Healthcare 101 toolkit.
AHWG works in collaboration with many nonprofit organizations, municipal agencies, and educational institutions. We thank the following organizations for their partnership and contributions to content in this toolkit:
- California Department of Public Health, STD Control Branch
- Columbia University, Mailman School of Public Health
- Johns Hopkins University, Division of General Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine
- Planned Parenthood of Los Angeles
- Physicians for Reproductive Choice (PRCH)
- San Francisco Department of Health, STD Prevention and Control Services
- University of California San Francisco
- University of California San Francisco, Dept. of Pediatrics
- University of California San Francisco, Division of Adolescent Medicine
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Dept. of Sociology