Submit a Workshop Proposal for the AHWG 2023 Providers Summit
For more than 25 years, the Adolescent Health Working Group has gained a national following. That is why this year, we are excited to offer our first virtual summit.
The theme for the AHWG 2023 Providers Summit is “Sexual and Reproductive Health: A Modern Love Story.” From comprehensive sexuality education in schools to abortion access at the Supreme Court, adolescent sexual and reproductive health is an evolving landscape in the US.
AHWG believes that we can reach a healthier society through harm reduction and by increasing healthcare access. Our Providers Summit offers a forum for local health providers to review best practice tools and gain the knowledge to advance the rights and access to healthcare by historically overlooked young people.
The AHWG Providers Summit is an opportunity to hear from your peers, who are piloting new research, programs, and even technology to empower their youth patients and clients.
Our audience includes a broad range of providers, including those with backgrounds in primary health, counseling, social work, behavioral health, education, and nonprofit youth programming. Additionally, AHWG’s network includes universities and colleges, and students are invited to attend as well.
We are excited to offer a half-day virtual conference on Wednesday, May 24, from 11am PST to 4pm PST.
We want to promote active, inclusive dialogues that address the many facets of young peoples’ lives. Our goal for this year’s Summit is to broaden the discussion around how sexuality, gender, race, and class impact comprehensive sexual and reproductive healthcare delivery. We hope these training sessions can impact education curriculum, policy, and clinical practices.
Below are a few examples of workshops that may help provide greater context:
- Understanding Sexuality/Gender in the Context of Other Forms of Identity
- The Impact of Social Media on Sexuality and Gender
- Talking About Sex Trafficking with Minors
- Healthy Relationships While in the Closet
- Gender Affirming Care for Brown and Black Bodies
- Advocating on Behalf of LGBTQ+ Youth Patients
- Sexuality Education for AAPI LGBTQ+ Youth and Families
- Family Planning Options for LGBTQ+ Youth
- Delivering Sexuality Education to Parents/Caregivers
- Understanding Minor Consent and Confidentiality as a Fundamental Right
- Increasing PrEP Access in Public High Schools
Below are a few questions to help guide potential workshops. We’re looking for workshops that can address some of these and other complex issues:
- How do cultural beliefs impact our perceptions about sexuality or gender, and healthy relationships?
- What information are providers missing when providing sexual and reproductive healthcare in 2023 and moving forward?
- How can youth providers empower youth patients or clients to self advocate?
- What are the best cultural ways for parents (or providers) to support LGBTQ+ identified youth in sexual and reproductive healthcare settings?
These example workshops and questions are a starting point. We are open to any workshop proposal that focuses on sexuality, gender, reproductive options, youth and their body, society, personal relationships, and institutions that they’re a part of.
At AHWG, we value the contributions of the wide variety of discussions around the importance of sexual and reproductive health, and we want to invite you to join us in expanding this to new and fresh areas.
Click here to submit a workshop proposal for the 2023 AHWG Providers Summit.
If you have any questions about the application or need assistance completing the application via phone or Zoom, please send us a note at [email protected]
Proposals must be submitted by 11:59pm PST Friday, March 17. All applicants will be notified the week of March 27.